It is difficult to believe that some of these myths are held by people, however it is a double edge sword. On one hand it is good to question authority and the status-quo. Even asking questions to find out hidden truths is a good thing, at what point does it become dangerous. Some myths are innocuous and can be rather funny. While on the other hand others can threaten the very existence of life on the planet. (Talking about you anti-vaxers) I have gathered a bit of information on a few of these myths, and also interesting links to get more information about each topic.
1. Flat Earth (Flat Earth Society IFERS)
- Mostly believed to be pseudoscience, with a membership of about 2 to 3 thousand members, the myth arose around the 19th century based on the cosmological doctrine from the Middle Ages that the Earth was flat. In 1885 William Carpenter published a book that contained “A hundred proofs the Earth is not a Globe.”
- “There are rivers that flow for hundreds of miles towards the level of the sea without falling more than a few feet — notably, the Nile, which, in a thousand miles, falls but a foot. A level expanse of this extent is quite incompatible with the idea of the Earth’s convexity. It is, therefore, a reasonable proof that Earth is not a globe.”
- “If the Earth were a globe, a small model globe would be the very best — because the truest — thing for the navigator to take to sea with him. But such a thing as that is not known: with such a toy as a guide, the mariner would wreck his ship, of a certainty!, This is a proof that Earth is not a globe.”
- Proof against Flat Earth
- The Moon – The Earth casts a shadow on the moon that is curved.
- Ships and the Horizon – On the horizon object emerge slowly, whereas the if the Earth was flat the object would appear to materialize in their full form.
- Seeing Farther from Higher – a flat earther would believe that no matter the height the distance one could see would be no different than that of someone at ground level.
- The center of gravity – on a flat earth gravity would pull you to the center of the flat plane and not be pulling you straight down.
2. Holocaust denial
- Generally most do not accept the term ‘denial’ as an appropriate description of their belief and instead use the term revisionism instead. Most claims by denialists openly state that the Holocaust is an exaggeration arising out of a deliberate Jewish conspiracy to advance the interest of Jews at the expense of other people.The views of the Holocaust denial are considered anti semitic and illegal in several countries.
- Since I consider this to be overly sickening, I have no interest in duplicating the false propaganda, or speeches by the denialists so if you are looking to read further on the subject check out the wiki article.
3. NASA is hiding another sun
- this one came from a well known field astronomer named Paul Cox, who claims that NASA is hiding from the public a second sun. During an eight hour live broadcast, Cox showed a live feed from his telescope. Cox claimed that the dot that was to the right of the sun was in fact not the planet Mercury, but the location of our solar system’s second sun. Cox provided no real reasoning behind the NASA cover up, and also alluded during the broadcast about Planet X theory, which says that a broken planet with come from behind the sun and crash into earth. link
10 Other Myths:
- Armageddon, the Apocalypse, the Rapture, Last Judgement, Second Coming – link
- That Sandy Hook was a staged fake event. link
- Australia doesn’t actually exist. link
- Finland doesn’t exist. link
- Dollar bills predicted 9/11. link
- That vaccines cause autism.
- Chemtrails. link
- That the Moon landing was faked. link
- There’s another Earth-like planet just opposite the Sun. link
- Satan created dinosaur bones to make people stray from God. Young Earth Creationists. link